2011年2月27日 星期日

ESL Podcast 640 – Being Genuine and False

Javier: I saw Terry cozying up to you this morning. What was that about?

Floriane: He was just offering me some advice on my first proposal.

Javier: Sure, he was. What were his true intentions?

Floriane: I think he was being upfront about wanting to help a new employee. I don’t think he had an ulterior motive.

Javier: I wouldn’t take Terry at face value. He has a reputation around the office of being two- faced. He’ll try to get to know you under false pretenses and then stab you in the back.

Floriane: I don’t get that feeling from Terry. He seemed genuine and open. By the way, was there something you needed?

Javier: Me? No. I was just trying to watch out for you.

Floriane: In that case, I’d better get back to work, and I’ll keep your warning in mind. I’ll beware of anyone giving me advice who may have an ulterior motive.


Script by Dr. Lucy Tse
=============================================================
cozying up to 博取歡心
true intentions 真實意圖
upfront 坦率的;誠實的;直爽的
ulterior /ʌl'tɪrɪɚ/ 隱秘的;不可告人的;秘密的;矢口否認的
motive 動機;原因;目的
face value 相信表面;(郵票、錢幣、票等的)票面價值,面值
two- faced 兩面派的;言行不一的
pretense [prɪˈtɛns] 藉口,託詞 ; 假裝;矯飾;虛偽;做作
false pretenses 假託詐取
stab somebody in the back 在某人背後捅刀子;陷害(或中傷)信任你的人
genuine 真誠的;誠實的;可信賴的
watch out for you 留意你
beware of 小心...;謹防...

沒有留言:

張貼留言