2010年7月27日 星期二

ESL Podcast 598 – Suggesting a Nightcap

Brittany: [slurring her speech] I had a really nice time.

Tri: I’m glad to hear it. It was nice of Marie to set us up.

Brittany: Yeah, she told me that you would be my soul mate, and she was right! You’re dreamy...

Tri: Uh...well, thanks. It was really nice meeting you, but I’d better be going.

Brittany: What? Why are you leaving so soon? Don’t you want to come in for a nightcap? Let’s have a drink, or two, or three. I’ll make it worth your while...

Tri: I think we’ve both had enough to drink tonight, don’t you? I’ll just take a rain check.

Brittany: Don’t go yet. The night is young. Don’t you want to see my apartment?

Tri: Sure I do, but let’s make it another time. I really do have to go.

Brittany: Spoilsport!
...
Brittany seemed nice when I first met her, but that impression didn’t last long. It only took 15 minutes for me to realize that she and I had nothing in common, and then, I couldn’t get out of there fast enough. You might think I’m crazy because she really was drop- dead gorgeous, but I had no intention of taking advantage of a drunk woman!


Script by Dr. Lucy Tse
==============================================================
slur [slɝ] 含糊地發(音)
set us up 撮合
soul mate 知己
dreamy 漂亮的;美妙的;極好的
nightcap 睡前飲料;(常指)夜酒
I’ll make it worth your while 我不會讓你白費力氣的[我會為這個給你酬勞]
take a rain check(婉辭邀請)下次吧,以後再說
Spoilsport 掃興的人
impression 印象
last long 長久
last .verb 持續;繼續;延續
drop-dead gorgeous 極其吸引人的;動人的
gorgeous 非常漂亮的;美麗動人的;令人愉快的
intention 打算;計劃;意圖;目的
taking advantage of
利用;占便宜

沒有留言:

張貼留言